Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Brutal Honesty About Dreams

Grace, my oldest, has this thing about telling me her dreams. Not like...life dreams. I mean her nightly dreams. And, my husband will quickly tell you that I get easily bored listening to dreams. My mind wanders. I don't focus very well when someone is sharing their night-time dream with me. I get kinda bored. I don't know why. Maybe it's that I like to focus on reality, not something someone's brain thought up while they were asleep and makes no sense.

This morning Grace was telling me her dream from last night. Honestly, I don't have a clue what she told me. What did stick in my brain was what she said when she finished retelling the events of her dream: It just didn't make sense to me at all. I replied, Sometimes dreams don't make sense. Aha! moment.

God gives us dreams...life dreams. He gave me mine about eight years ago. And still, for the life of me, I don't understand it. It doesn't make sense. Yes, He gave me a dream for something I'm passionate about. But I have no training, no education...nothing...in this specific area except a love for it and for Him. Because of that, year after year, I ignore the dream. I don't look for Him to fulfill the dream. I contemplate it; I think how ridiculous it is; I imagine it; but it goes no further.

As we are at the fresh start of a new year, I wonder again if this will be the year. Will I surrender and allow God to fulfill the dream He placed in me so He can get the glory? To be brutally honest: I want to, but...

No comments:

Post a Comment