Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Week of Thanksgiving -- Day 4

Today I am thankful for food.

My refrigerator and pantry are usually full. If not, I run to the grocery store to restock. I take food for granted.

Today I will eat until I'm completely stuffed, then I'll probably eat some more. There'll be more than enough food for all the family members coming to celebrate Thanksgiving at my house. My mother will bring the turkey and dressing with some sides and a dessert. My sisters and nieces will bring even more sides and desserts. And I'll contribute yet more sides and desserts. No doubt we'll eat until we make ourselves miserable. Don't most people?

Yet there are those within just a few miles of my home who will wonder where their lunch will come from today. They may wonder if they'll even have lunch. Not just today...but everyday. They won't have a huge family to celebrate and give thanks with, nor will they have a smorgasboard of foods from which to choose.

Today, and every Thursday, there is a woman in my church who, with the help of her friends and volunteers, feeds the hungry in downtown Birmingham. Her ministry is called Grace's Kitchen. She does not take food for granted. She sees how hunger affects the homeless. Food is the tool she uses to build relationships and to share the Gospel with the homeless in Birmingham.

What about you? Are you like me?...Do you take food for granted? If so, I challenge you to get involved with your local food ministry. Time, money and food are all resources they can use...surely you can share one, if not all, of those.

To learn more about Grace's Kitchen, click here.

I hope you have a very happy and blessed Thanksgiving! Be sure to take a moment to thank God for your food today!

No comments:

Post a Comment