Friday, May 25, 2012

Light In The Darkness

My bedroom door stays open, at least cracked, every night. It's been the habit since the girls were babies. I want to be able to hear them if they were to need me during the night. Due to the door being slightly ajar, light from the lamp above the kitchen sink seeps into the bedroom. It allows enough light into the bedroom to enable me to see if I have to get up during the night. I'm so accustomed to the light, I hardly notice it.

However, the girls had friends over a couple of nights ago for a sleepover. Since I like to sleep, I closed the door to drown out the noise of five loud, giggly girls. The bedroom was pitch black. Of course, with time, my eyes adjusted to the dark, and I could make out shapes in the room. As usual, one of the girls needed to tell me just one more thing, and opened the door to come in. The light immediately exposed the darkness. And it seemed brighter than usual.

As Christians, we walk in the Light. He is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path (Ps. 119:105). We depend on the Light. But there are times when, for one reason or another, we choose to close the door to the Light, and walk in darkness. At first, the dark seems darker than ever. After a while, our eyes adjust, and the dark doesn't seem so dark any longer. We begin to think we can make our way through without the Light. Until one day, the door is cracked ajar. And the little bit of Light that we allow back into our lives seems brighter than it ever has before. Since He will never force His way in, we have a choice: close the door again, the darkness becoming darker than before; leave the door slightly ajar, experiencing only thin rays of the Light; or swing the door wide open, basking in Light that reveals our good and His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment