Thursday, August 2, 2012

My One Thing

I went into the recording process knowing very little. I'm a singer, but have only had a total of four voice lessons. I'd never been in a recording studio until I began this project a couple of months ago. To say I was intimated is an understatement. Fear reared its ugly head a few times. Fearful thoughts occasionally pestered me:

I don't belong here.
I don't know what I'm doing.
Why in the world am I here?

In addition, I woke up with a scratchy throat on Monday that lasted well into Tuesday evening. There were a couple of times while I was singing that my chest felt like it was on fire. While I was excited to be fulfilling the desire God placed inside me, I was tired and weak.

A friend and her husband are preparing to move to Uganda as missionaries. At the end of their promo video {click on Wilbanks Family}, her husband talks about knowing the one thing God has called each of us to do, and doing it. As I watched, the tears flowed uncontrollably down my face...because I know my one thing is this music project.

While our "one thing" may be the deepest desires of our hearts, they're usually the most difficult to accomplish. They don't happen without the enemy trying to defeat us or destroy the task. But the power of Holy Spirit working within us is greater than the tactics the enemy uses.

All that to say...the fear, intimidation and sickness I felt were simply arrows meant to make me give up. But in my weakness, He gave me strength. And I'm thrilled with the outcome up to this point. There's more work to be done, but I'm looking forward to the day when I can share songs of grace and restoration with you all!


Taking a break...
Studio engineer, Eric Bates




Producer, George Vinson


No comments:

Post a Comment