Sunday, October 24, 2010

Capable of Anything

We are capable of ANYTHING! We are capable of any fall. Of any moral failure, i.e., sin. We can and should expect the best from ourselves, and from those around us, BUT we are capable of anything. You either know this about yourself, or you deny it. I know.

I thought I wasn't capable of doing what I did. In fact, I'm not sure I ever said it aloud, but definitely in my mind I thought I'd never do "that." I just wouldn't allow myself to sink that low, even if I wanted to. But I did. And because of it, I am stronger today. I am more aware of God's grace. I am more aware of the hurting. I am more aware.

You might read this and think that you've had no moral failures, and you plan to keep it that way. Let me ask you this: do you categorize sins? You know...big ones, small ones, etc. Before 2006, I did. Let me show you how I categorized sins and those who commit them:

Big sins (the ones I never thought myself capable of):
Murder
Theft
Alcholism
Abuse
Drug Addiction
Adultery
Lying

Small sins (the ones I knew I was capable of, and sometimes guilty):
Gossip
White lies
Drunkenness
Quick temper
Rudeness

Closet sins (the ones I knew I committed, but didn't dare discuss):
Anger
Jealousy
Lust
Bitterness
Pride

Your lists may be different from mine, but if you categorize them, you are as wrong as I was. And if you sit in pious judgment, you are also as wrong as I was. And if you've committed one of them, or one similar (and you have if you're alive and breathing), then you are capable of any of them.

Galatians 6:1-2 says, Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. (ESV) I could just about write a book on these two verses, but I'll suffice it to say that we are responsible for our brothers' spiritual restoration. We are not to categorize sin, or the sinner. We are to love them back to a place of repentance and restoration.

I Peter 4:8 says, Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins. (NASB) Like Peter, I know the power of the love which covers a multitude of sins. First and foremost, it is the love of Jesus. Secondly, it is the love of others who look beyond the sin to see how God can restore the sinner.

I am thankful for the few who gently led me to a place of restoration...who bore my burdens...who loved me.

Are there people in your life who offered you grace, love and restoration?

No comments:

Post a Comment