Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Powerful Words

I like words. I like to read words. I like to say words. I like to write words. I like to sing words. And, sometimes, I like to hear words. Words are powerful. They can make me happy, sad, angry, and every emotion in-between.

I like to read words that stir emotions. I like to say words that have meaning and depth. I love to sing words about Jesus. I like to hear words that include all of the afore-mentioned.

I don't like idle chit-chat. I've never been good at surface conversation. I can achieve it when I have to...I just don't like to. I'd rather get to the heart of a matter.

I don't like harsh words; however, I have a tendency to speak before I think, so I am guilty of speaking harsh and careless words on more occasions than I care to remember. I certainly don't like to hear harsh words, expecially if they're directed at me.

Words are powerful. BUT, what's interesting is, sometimes, silence is more powerful than words. My Mom reminded me of this today: in John 8, when the scribes and Pharisees brought the woman caught in adultery to Jesus, the first thing He did after they accused her was to stoop down and write with his finger on the ground. I wonder in that very moment what Jesus was thinking. My "Sunday School answer" is to say that Jesus already knew what He was going to say, and was making a point. But, part of me wonders if He didn't want to give the accusers a little piece of His mind. Did He need a moment to talk to His Father to move past a temptation to give them a tongue-lashing? I'm not making light of this Scripture; rather I've given a lot of thought today to how Jesus responded to those who tested Him.

The next part of that Scripture never ceases to amaze me. Jesus said to the accusers, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." Gotta. Stop. For. A. Second. That's a powerful statement! Isn't it interesting that his first address was not to the woman, but to the accusers. And, wasn't He tactful? (Can I say that about Jesus?...I promise I'm not being non-chalant.) He could've told them what fools they were, could've publicly pointed each of their own sins, could've said any number of things. But, he said just enough powerful words that the accusers all tucked tail and moved along.

I think I need to learn to stop, draw on the ground, choke down the words that so often I want to blurt out, and let Jesus speak for me...through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment