Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Be Still

God has been speaking the same two words to me over the past several months: Be still.

Be still {cease striving} and know that I am God... Psalm 46:10a

And Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will accomplish for you today..." Exodus 14:13a

Just be still.

Yet, sometimes I take a trip back to the past. I wallow there for a while, in the muck and mire playing the blame game. God reminds me that He is well-acquainted with my past, and is the One who brought me out of it. When I travel back down that road, I rob myself of peace.

And sometimes I run ahead, comtemplating the future. Will circumstances change? If so, how and why? My mind rushes through all kinds of possibilities, sometimes eliciting fear and dread. Again, He reminds me that He knows my future...it's in His hands. I don't have to worry about what might or might not happen tomorrow or ten years from now.

That leaves me with today. Right now. This minute. Present tense.

Even in the right here, right now, I get impatient. I can't see Him working, so I take matters into my own hands instead of being still...instead of trusting Him. This is the time He reminds me that He knows best, not me...because I usually make a mess of things, and being still is really the wiser choice.

Still, He continues to speak to me...

Be still. I'm God. Know me. Trust me. Don't be afraid. Don't do anything because I am working for you...even right now. One day, you'll understand why I wanted you still during this time.

I'm still. I'm trusting {right now}.

Has God been speaking to you recently? What's He saying?

1 comment:

  1. It's difficult for me to just Be Still and know that He is God sometimes, especially when life is difficult and circumstances are overwhelming. I want to fix things... now. But, I too have found that God does know best if we will just Be Still and bask in His presence, wait on His plan to unfold, and cling to His unconditional love! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete